Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 40 - This Isn't Where I Thought I'd Be

I am 39 years old.  And I am not as happy as I should be.  People have asked me if I am happy.  And I usually say something like, "enough."  And I thought it was.  But now I realize that it isn't enough.  And I am going to be 40!  It should have happened by now, right?  Well, I can't wait for it to happen to me.  I can't blame the world  or my husband or my lack of opportunity.  I have to do this for myself.  I have to find a way to be happy with myself.  In other words, I want to be the me I was always supposed to be.  But can I find her?  Do I even know who she is?

As a girl growing up in Charleston, West Virginia in the 1970's, I envisioned what my life would be.  By 40, I would most certainly have a wonderful husband with a soul mate type relationship, two perfect children, a nice house and I'd be a famous movie star.  I would be living in New York City, because LA is isn't real like New York.  I would definitely NOT be living in West Virginia.  Worthwhile goals for an 8 year old, I guess.  But not all are particularly achievable nor desirable at 39.

What I want now is to sort of rediscover myself and fall in love with her.  Please don't get me wrong.  I really like myself.  I am funny, a good friend, supportive wife, loving mother, caring of others and have had some fantastic experiences in my 39 years. But I am a flawed.  And a perfectionist.  A non-flawed perfectionist doesn't have this problem.  But a flawed perfectionist suffers at her own hand.  

This brings me to the creation of 40 Days Til 40.  I am on a journey to rediscover myself - physically, spiritually and emotionally.  If I'm going to turn 40 (which I am), I want to be happy with myself, my reactions to myself and the world.  So here is the beginning plan.

1.  I am giving up sugar.  No sugar in my coffee (which by the way, I am not giving up).  I want to be happy, not crazy.  And no artificial sweeteners.
2.  I will feed myself at least as well as I feed my child.  Organic (as much as possible).  Lots of protein.  No junk.  Maybe I will even say farewell to gluten.  Easy on the carbs.  More veggies and fruit.  Lots of water.
3.  I will exercise every day, focusing on abs and yoga.
4.  I will meditate every day.
5.  I will journal every day.
6.  I will take time to focus on myself every day.
7.  I will allow myself to be my true self.  Not perfect.  Just true.

I want to feel good about myself.  I want to be healthy.  I want to be calm.  I want to be decisive.  And I deserve it.  We all do.  I hope you will join me.  Because we're all turning 40...Someday!


3 comments:

  1. Coffee is something I cannot give up either, with no sugar and low carbs. There has to be something!

    I've been trying to blog every day in September and haven't been perfect, but have written a lot more. I find the most important thing is to forcibly carve out time for my own thoughts and quiet time. If I don't make it happen, it won't and time just passes.

    Of course, I'm no so many days till 50 so I hope it's okay if I ride along!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. During the day, all I drink is ice water. That's it. No coffee, no sodas, no juices. It's so easy to give all that stuff up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have 4 oz of coffee first thing in the morning. Then it's only water. If i gave up coffee, I would never accomplish anything.

    I hope you both ride along. It wouldn't be any fun to go by myself

    ReplyDelete